Henry Howard a fearless feminist, rockstar reproductive rights advocate and a dear friend shared his poem Light Two Candles at our April 2019 #MeToo event from his most recent book. He offered his book for sale, and in true Henry fashion, he donated the proceeds to our NOW chapter.
We are forever thankful, and we’ll miss you.
Light Two Candles
As Hannukah sends forth its light
To roll back the darkness in our lives,
Light two candles to drive away the shadows
In men’s and women’s lives.
Light one candle for the courage of women,
Who have lit their own way forward to the future.
Light one candle for the men in their lives
Who have shared the long and winding road,
Not leading the way, but walking as partners side by side.
Light one candle for every woman,
In the silence of sexual harassment or abuse,
Who is silent no more,
And whose steadfast voice
Shakes her chains of bondage loose.
Light one candle for every man
Who refuses to hide in an ivory tower,
And use gender or position
To make women cower.
Light one candle for every woman
Who speaks truth to power,
To call forth the power of Sisterhood.
And light one candle for every man
Who gives up his false power
To free both sexes—if he only would.
Light two candles side by side
For the bravest of both sexes who walk together,
Talk together, understand together,
And with one voice, as women and men,
Shout down the darkness with two little words:
~ Henry Howard
The constant call of 2017 has been rally, take action. Michelle Obama told us during her last official White House speech, “Don’t be afraid. Be focused. Be empowered.”
On the eve of the inauguration, National Council of Jewish Women Los Angeles (NCJW|LA) and reproductive health and justice organizations will do just that by leading a Rally to Save Roe. They will demonstrate the commitment to uphold the right to abortion established 44 years ago in the historic 1973 Supreme Court Case, Roe vs. Wade.
The event brings together notable speakers and inspiring performances. After the powerful rally, the community of organizations will provide advocacy training to give attendees practical tools to put beliefs into action in their community. Additionally, there will be opportunities and supplies for the public to make signs in preparation for the March for Women in LA on January 21.
- State Senator Holly Mitchell
- LA County Supervisor Sheila Kuehl
- Juana Rosa Cavero, California Coalition for Reproductive Freedom
- Councilmember Lindsey Horvath
- Hector Villagra, ACLU of Southern California
- Hillary Selvin, National Council of Jewish Women, Los Angeles
- Remy Holwick
- Marcie Smolin (MC)
Join NCJW|LA 25+ co-sponsoring organizations as they Rally to Save Roe, a rally, and training to defend women’s reproductive rights in America. The rally will begin at 5:30 PM and will be on Fairfax Ave. between Clinton St. and Rosewood Ave.
These are some of our confirmed sponsors.
- National Council of Jewish Women, Los Angeles (host)
- ACLU of Southern California
- Anti-Defamation League (ADL)
- Black Women for Wellness (BWW)
- California Coalition for Reproductive Freedom (CCRF)
- California Latinas for Reproductive Justice (CLRJ)
- California NOW
- California Women’s Law Center (CWLC)
- City of West Hollywood
- City of West Hollywood, Women’s Advisory Board
- Congregation Kol Ami
- Feminist Majority Foundation
- Hollywood NOW
- L.A. for Choice
- Los Angeles City Councilmember Paul Koretz
- Los Angeles County Supervisor Sheila Kuehl
- NARAL Pro-Choice California
- National Health Law Program (NHeLP)
- Planned Parenthood Los Angeles (PPLA)
- Planned Parenthood Young Professionals (PPYP)
- Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism (RAC/URJ)
- Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice (RCRC)
- San Gabriel Valley NOW
- Temple Israel of Hollywood
- Temple Emanuel of Beverly Hills
- Together We Will Los Angeles (TWWLA)
- Women’s Reproductive Rights Assistance Project (WRRAP)
For more information check out the Facebook event at: https://www.facebook.com/events/1246453398711435/
San Gabriel-Whittier Valley NOW (SGVN NOW) has just donated again to Planned Parenthood to help it fight the latest round of attacks against it. On September 18, the House of Representatives voted to stop federal funding of Planned Parenthood’s preventive health care services, including breast cancer screening, for the millions of women across the nation who depend on them. Legislatures in five states have actually defunded Planned Parenthood after a video made by the “Center for Medical Progress” purported to show that the organization is selling fetal tissue for profit.
On September 22, the bill failed to get the 60 votes required to advance. The fight continues.
The “Center for Medical Progress,” an anti-choice group, secretly recorded the video and then “heavily edited and ‘significantly distort[ed] and misrepresent[ed] it,” according to Glenn Simpson, a partner at the research firm Fusion GPS, in a report submitted to the leadership in Congress. The mission of the Center for Medical Progress is to take away essential services, such as mammograms and birth control, and to ban abortion entirely.
SGVW NOW is a long-time supporter of Planned Parenthood; we will keep fighting for women’s health care.